Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ups and downs

Hello people! This has been the longest I've ever left it between posts - I'm writing a Masters thesis so working every waking hour. It'll be done in a week so I can get back to blogging more often. Anyway, what have I been up to? Well in terms of physical activity - absolutely nothing. I've been sitting on my backside most of the time and not got my heart pumping for ages. My eating habits have been all over the place. Some days I've managed to put away 3000 calories or more, and other days I've got by on a third of that! One recent development which is helping things is that I've given up chocolate for Lent! Lent only began this Wednesday so I've gone without the brown stuff for just four days so far - another 36 to go....

Another new development is that in the past month, on days when I've over-eaten, I have had bad acid reflux at night. I've had to lay propped up on pillows and I've been taking Zantac pills to help. Of course when I eat more sensibly the acid disappears - so it's my body's natural warning to do just that. Makes sense really!

Today, somewhat out of the blue, I had one slime episode, and another slimy regurgitation episode. The first was triggered by nothing more than drinking some cold Ribena a little too fast, and the second was triggered by eating half a small yoghurt after my lunch.....?! Anyway, since then I've been eating somewhat cautiously the rest of the day.

Something else happened today which I found surprising. I was talking to a complete stranger at work. She'd obviously seen a head and shoulders photograph of me on the staff noticeboard and commented that I'd lost a lot of weight. I find this surprising because:

1. It was very observant on her part
2. I wasn't aware that it was so obvious - just from a head and shoulders shot
3. She asked how I'd lost the weight and I immediately blurted out 'I've got a gastric band!' - to a complete stranger! Oh well, I'm obviously getting a lot more relaxed about it!


I'll be back posting again soon. All the best.

4 comments:

  1. hi
    seems that all the problems came from those damn brown stuff !!
    :DLOL
    good luck.
    mahhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say hello.
    Yours is the first blog I read when I started thinking about getting a band. I'm being banded tomorrow, your blog has really helped me make my decision. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great NSV (pic). Hope your back here soon! -BG
    I'm here:
    http://bandgroupiethesweetspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison - You've been banded over a week now - I hope the op went well and that things are settling down for you. All the best, Theresa

    Band Groupie (love the name!)- I'm back!

    Trees x

    ReplyDelete