Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I can make you thin: Part two

So, where were we? I was discussing Paul McKenna's (PM) book, "I Can Make You Thin", and in particular, his four 'rules'. I thought it might be useful to say something about each one, and in particular, how they relate to rules for bandits.

PMs first rule is "When you are hungry, EAT". On the face of it, this seems obvious. However, many of us have been deeply ingrained with diet 'rules' that say: only eat 'x' meals per day, no snacking, if you're hungry have a drink - and that sort of thing. The result is that we have come to associate weight loss with unpleasant hunger. PM argues that hunger isn't actually necessary - we just need to be more tuned in to our 'I'm full' signals. Instead of eating when we think we ought to, we should eat when we actually feel hunger (and, as rule 4 says, then stop when we are full). I watched a TV programme last night, Horizon, that was all about our natural body clock and how it is there to protect us, feed us and give us rest. The programme makers presented the general thesis that our body clock knows better than us - and this is as true of eating as it is of many other bodily functions and activities.

However, what I like about this rule is what it doesn't say. The corollary to eating only when you are hungry, is "don't eat when you are not hungry". This probably sounds very obvious to many people - why would you want to eat if you're not hungry? I suspect most non-fatties just wouldn't get it! But for those of us who are emotional and habitual eaters, refraining from eating when not hungry is easier said than done. Take this example of what I used to do: I'd eat a very light breakfast before setting off for work. By noon I was ravenous. As a result, at lunchtime in the staff canteen, I'd pile far more on my plate than I actually needed. I would frequently return to my office after lunch absolutely stuffed! By about 5 or 6pm in the afternoon, I'd start to feel peckish again and would either raid the chocolate machine or stop off at a petrol station on the way home. Most people in that situation would have bought one bar of chocolate or something to satisfy their hunger, but not me. I used to buy a couple of chocolate bars, a packet of crisps and often a cake or sandwich as well. Of course, after eating the first bar of chocolate I would have easily satisfied my hunger pangs - but having bought all that food I felt some warped obligation to eat it (probably the same warped obligation that still sees me struggling to leave any food on my plate!)! I'd arrive home about 7pm-ish, again, stuffed full. However, it was dinner time, so I'd have to cook, and I'd have to eat, out of habit or duty or to fit in with some sort of normality - I don't know. But even though I was full to bursting, I would still cook and eat my dinner.

This is a perfect example of what PM means by this rule. It's a two-way thing: Don't go hungry following some diet rules - if you are hungry eat something. However, on the other hand, don't eat out of habit or expectation - only eat if you actually are hungry. How does this rule relate to bandit rules? Well, if you have really good restriction, then in theory, at least, it should be possible to eat just three small meals a day without experiencing hunger. However, if you are like me, and still getting band adjustments, I experience hunger on a regular basis. This is because I am trying to stick to the band eating rules while not yet having the benefit of proper restriction.

The PM second rule is "EAT WHAT YOU WANT, not what you think you should". This one is quite simple - PM is totally against diets and doesn't think they work (neither do I, having been on a few). One of the reasons diets fail is because when people are on a diet they tend to eat different things than they would when off it - the diet, therefore, does not prepare you for 'normal', non-diet life. Weight loss is only likely to be maintained if we can lose weight by adopting habits that can be maintained for life. If we think we can go on, for the rest of our lives, existing off 800 calories a day on low fat yoghurts ansd the like, then fine, but most of us cannot! PM has a bit of a 'pop' at healthy food. Personally, I enjoy healthy food, fruit and vegetables, pulses, lentils, and fish (I am after all, a fish-eating vegetarian - so if I didn't like these things I'd be in trouble!). My provider sets out a fairly constrained list of different types of foods that I should be eating. This is for two reasons, one to ensure I get a good nutritional balance, and two, to eat food of the right textures (to avoid 'slider' foods and the like). That said, my provider specifically says that while the band is ineffective with foods such as chocolate and ice cream, they are not saying we should never eat these - only that we should eat them in moderation. In that respect I think there's a lot of commonality between band rules and PMs rules.

The third PM rule is "Eat CONSCIOUSLY and enjoy every mouthful". This totally complies with one of the most important behaviours for bandits to adopt - eating slowly, chewing everything carefully, and not eating while watching TV etc! As well as encouraging us to be more conscious of what and how much we are eating, to learn to enjoy food rather than wolfing it down in a rush, this rule also creates more time for our brains to work out that our stomach's are full!

The final PM rule is "When you think you are full, STOP eating". I've probably covered this in the discussion of rule number one, but basically, it is about being more conscious of when we are full, when we are hungry etc. PM provides a really useful 'Hunger Scale', which goes from physically faint (due to hunger) to nauseous (due to over-eating). This is quite a useful tool to encourage us to think more clearly about exactly how hungry or full we are - something I know I have never really done before now - but I'm starting to be more aware with every day that passes. It actually gives me quite a lot of pleasure getting to the point of feeling just a little hungry - because then when I eat I know I am eating at the right time and for the right reason.

Whoooosh! Sorry if that was a bit rambling but PMs book provoked so many thoughts they all kind of came out of my head in a rush! Hopefully it makes some sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment