Monday, October 12, 2009

Plodding on

Work is still a nightmare. I'm still working silly hours and it's still having an adverse effect on my eating and exercise. I know from past experience that when I don't exercise I don't feel fit - I feel fat - and that makes me feel low - so I eat to make myself feel better......... Oh dear, it sounds bloomin' silly even as I write it - but that's how my head is!

I bought a book to help me overcome emotional eating but I haven't found time to get past page one! I've browsed on the web looking for ideas and all I get are distraction techniques. This is the idea that when you feel like grabbing a bar of chocolate - for emotional reasons - do something to distract ourself. Activities include taking a hot bubble bath or going for a walk.

Well that's fine - but I haven't got time to go for a walk and a quik shower at 5.30am is about all I can manage - no way is there time to have a long soak!!! I tried putting some chocolate in the bread bin so I could have small amounts of it when I needed - that's beter than going out and buying six bars and scoffing the lot in my book. But I haven't been as restrained as I thought I might be.

I just read on the UKGastricBand forum about a lady who's got really good restriction at last - and I can still eat a lot more than her. Tonight, I'm thinking I should phone in the morning and book myself another fill. If you read my blog regularly though, you'l know that I may change my mind again tomorrow!! I really think I might go for it this time though - and settle for much tighter restriction than I have at present. It's got to be better than trying desperately to cling onto an ounce of willpower, hasn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa! I have followed your blog for a while now and feel loads of empathy for you. I
    have 7mls in my band and it seems to be just about right. I can't eat a large meal and struggle more with certain foods, but chocolate, cake, biscuits, ice cream would all go down easily with little restriction. I have a few pounds to lose now but the last few are the most difficult, as you do need will power. You are considering having a fill? think carefully before you do. It will still allow the chocolate etc that your head hunger wants but limit the healthy food that you need to stay well. How much do you have in your band now?

    Life always gets in the way of dieting. It may be a slower journey to achieve your loss with a band compared to bypass surgery, but it is a healthier way to live in the long run, I think.

    Keep going! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,

    Thanks so much for your encouraging and very sensible post. I've 7.7ml in my 10ml band and I know from past de-fills etc that I am approaching my limit (I was at 7.7ml once before and experienced awful indigestion, acid reflux and a problem drinking....). I just wish that the restriction I usually feel in the morning lasted all day - it seems to disappear around mid-afternoon!

    I think you're right in your last sentence - I'm probably impatient and need to focus on the long haul rather than day by day happenings. On the plus side - if I can eat all the rubbish I've eaten over the last few weeks and still not gain any weight - well that's a good sign for the future isn't it?

    I'm going to really try to stick to healthy food for the rest of the day (one step at a time) and closely monitor how my restriction feels. I'll see how it goes for a few days and then if I'm still unsure I might give my nurse a call and have a chat....

    Keep putting one foot in front of the other!!
    Trees x x x

    ReplyDelete