Friday, June 26, 2009

More about the pub

I was telling you yesterday about my visit to the pub and how I ended up telling a lady about my band. What I didn't say was that I also told the two colleagues that I went to the pub with! Alan and I were waiting at the bar while Joyce was still making her way to the pub after a visit to the cash machine. Alan said "I don't know if it is polite to say, but you've lost a lot of weight, haven't you?!". I confirmed that I had. In fact, I have noticed that Alan has also lost weight over the past few months. However, as I explained to him, I didn't want to say anything to him in case he thought I was prompting him to compliment me!! There's nothing as queer as folk eh? Anyway, we chatted about it briefly, got our drinks (mine was Diet Coke) and went to sit down and wait for Joyce to arrive.

Joyce arrived soon after and immediately Alan mentioned that he had commented on my weight loss. The looks exchanged between them suggested to me that they had discussed my weight loss - and he had effectively 'done the deed' and asked me about it. Joyce asked the usual question - how had I done it? Now, because of the experience I had with the other lady (see yesterday's post), I hesitated before answering. I am quite happy to miss out a bit of the truth but I am not accustomed to lying - and it keeps getting a bit near the brink for my liking. In that moment of hestitation, Joyce caught my eye and then gestured with her hands in front of her tummy - making a cutting motion and then a motion like typing a knot! I concluded that she had guessed the truth and I thought there was no point in not telling them everything.

So, out I came with it. They were both quite interested and seemed to have an intelligent understanding of the limitations and difficulties of the band. It was shortly after this that I went to buy a round and ended up telling the other lady! So now there are FIVE people at work who know about my band. Two of them guessed. I wonder how many other people have put two and two together and worked it out for themselves? Am I being too coy when answering their questions? Funny how for years, no-one has ever mentioned my weight - and now everyone feels they have a right to ask me quite deep questions about it and discuss it with me and others?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment