Thursday, June 25, 2009

The truth will out

Yesterday, I encountered a couple of ladies at work who I haven't seen for a few weeks. They both explaimed at how marvellous I'd done to lose so much weight, how wonderful I looked and how I simply had to tell them what my secret was to such successful weight loss! I was a little overwhelmed by their slightly over-the-top compliments but managed to splutter the usual response. I said something along the lines that I was eating healthily, eating smaller portions and doing lots of walking - all of which is absolutely true. However, one of the ladies, who is quite obese herself, began to tell me how she had "tried everything" and had re-joined Weight Watchers in the hope of succeeding in weight loss this time. She was looking for more detail from me on exactly how I had so successfully managed to lose so much weight but it was quite difficult to say much without either telling her I had a band, or outright lying. I felt guilty, because here was a lady who was in genuine need of some advice and tips herself, and all I was doing was giving her platitudes.

That was yesteday. Today, I did something I almost never do, and went for a drink down the pub with a couple of colleagues (more about that tomorrow!). When it was my round, I went to the bar, and who should I bump into but the lady I referred to above! There was no-one else around so I made my decision. I said "I'm so glad to bump into you......" and went on to tell her that I had a gastric band! I told her that I wanted her to know the 'truth' of my successful weight loss. I explained that it has not been an easy ride, that some people fail with the band, that it doesn't stop the soft foods like chocolate etc, oh, and that it cost £8000!! She was quite interested and I could see her thinking through the implications for herself. She said she wasn't in a position to afford it at the moment - but I could tell that it is something she might hold in reserve as an option if her latest Weight Watchers attempt does not work.

So there you have it - now three people at work know I have a band. I must confess that each person I tell it gets easier. I'm getting more relaxed about it now - probably because I believe that even if I don't lose another pound, I have already achieved success in some people's eyes (not mine, I hasten to add). Whatever happens from here on, my health and body are already tonnes better than they were!!

No comments:

Post a Comment