Monday, June 29, 2009

Shopping woes

I went shopping for some new clothes on Saturday - without too much success I'm afraid to say. I seriously need some more tops to wear - I keep getting rid of old ones that are miles too big for me and my total clothes supply is shrinking fast. In fact, I only have two T-shirts suitable for wearing in public (I have a few other baggy tops that are OK for hanging around the house in). I am also getting very short on trousers. I have only three pairs that fit me now - two have been altered twice and one has been altered once. There is a limit to how many times you can put trousers under the sewing machine!

Anyhow, Saturday I concentrated on tops and I searched in vain in a number of clothes shops. All I could find were really bright, flowery, low cut or otherwise 'skimpy' tops. Everything I saw appeared to be designed for wearing on the beach! I am, and always have been, something of a Tomboy, so I like simple, plain clothes in pastel shades that don't show too much of my body. I ended up in Burton's - a men's clothes shop - and bought three T-shirts from there! They are not ideal, but in my opinion, better than anything I found in the ladies shops!!

While I was out, I thought I'd keep an eye open for any suitable trousers - and found some bootleg cut jeans I rather liked the look of. However, the biggest size they had was just a 16. The trousers I am currently wearing (altered twice, mind) are a 20 - so I know I'm no longer a 20. But to hope that I might be able to get into a 16? Well, I tried them on. The verdict? Well, let's put it this way - I got them on and even did the zipper up - and I was able to breathe (!). But I don't think I could have walked properly in them and they didn't feel comfortable. So I guess I am very close to being able to fit into a size 16, but just not quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment