Thursday, July 9, 2009

Eyes bigger than my belly

Yesterday evening, still on our mini-break in Llandudno, we ate out at Mamma Rosa's Italian restaurant. I chose bruschetta for starter, thinking that this would be a small piece of toasted bread with some cheese and tomato on top. In practice, it turned out to be two large chunks of bread with loads of topping. Fearful of not being able to eat any main course I persuaded my other half to eat one of the two chunks! It reminded me of a lady on the UKGastricband forum who said that her husband and dog were both gaining weight clearing up all her leftovers!

Anyway, I was 'good' when ordering my main course. I chose a pasta dish with pine nuts and pesto - but the menu said you could order a 'small' version if you wanted - so I did. The funny thing is though, when it arrived, I was a bit taken aback at just how small it was. I thought to myself that there was no way it was going to fill me up. About twenty minutes later, however, I was struggling to finish it all - I was completely stuffed! There was no way I was going to go for a dessert on this occasion! Then I did something I really struggle to do - I even left some on the plate!

Afterwards I thought about the fact that my eyes really are still bigger than my belly. In my head, that 'small' main course was still too small - I guess my head is still living in the past when it would, indeed, have been too small. It offers me some reassurance that I do have some restriction - even if I still have my doubts about whether it is enough. Whether my brain - my eyes - will ever catch up with my stomach is another question...

No comments:

Post a Comment