Monday, July 20, 2009

Our foray up Beinn Ghobhlach

On Friday last week we climbed the local peak of Beinn Ghobhlach. At its highest point, standing at 635m (total ascent 780m), it is not the highest mountain in these parts, but it is one of the most spectacular. The walk began with a relatively flat section along a loch-side path. On reaching a stream gully, however, we then had to strike directly uphill for a cool 300m (ascent). This bit was hard work but I couldn't help feeling much of the time as though I were floating on air - I felt so, so, well, fit!

At the top of this first steep section we reached a beautiful viewpoint overlooking two mountain lakes - a great spot for a short break. Soon after we set off up the second steep hike up to the main col at about 600m. This was basically a hard flog, straight up a steep mountain slope. I managed it with relative ease and reached the col feeling elated. I knew that never, in the past twenty years, would I have been able to manage such a climb with such strength (or perhaps even at all). I knew that had I even attempted it in the past there would have been a great deal more pain, sweat and misery. I think I realised at the col, as we sat down to eat some lunch, that I truly have turned a corner. My body is not, and never will be again, as it once was - that is the old me - and never to be re-visited.

A short further climb of about 35m got us up to the summit of Beinn Ghobhlach. The views from the top were absolutely stunning and well worth the hard work. After savouring the view and taking loads of photographs, we set off around the circular lip of the cirque, reaching a further three mini-summits along the way.

The climb down was very steep most of the way and involved some tricky scrambling through deep heather and bracken with hidden sandstone boulders beneath. Again, I couldn't help but reflect on the fact that my 'old' body - especially my knees - would have found this extremely painful. I just know that I would have really suffered had I attempted this descent in any of the past few years. In practice, although I'd be lying to say I wasn't a little tired by the time we got back to the car, I was actually in really good state. I could definitely have managed another tough walk the next day (except for the fact that our holiday had come to an end).

So all in all, this walk was something of a pivotal moment for me, revealing, in a fairly decisive way, my new, massively increased levels of fitness. Even as I sit here writing this I feel full of beans (not literally!) - as though I want to jump out of my chair and go for a run!!! You just never know! Amazing - I am starting to love my band.

If you are interested in seeking out this highland gem any time, click on the link above - this will take you to the Walk Highlands web site with detailed descriptions of this, and many other fabulous walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment