Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Should I be able to eat all this?

We are staying in Llandudno in North Wales for a couple of days break. We left late afternoon, arrived here about 6.30pm, booked in at a nice bed and breakfast and headed off into town to find some food. We spotted the restaurant that had a small queue outside and decided there must be something worth queueing for! Indeed, although the waitressing staff looked as though they needed a little cheering up(!), the ambience was lovely and the food delicious. After my meal out at Le Frog last week (the one that left me feeling naughty but nice - and absolutely stuffed), I thought I'd better come up with a different strategy for eating out tonight. In the event, I decided I was not going to even try to resist the apple and blackberry crumble for dessert (yes, I looked at the dessert menu first - do you notice a pattern emerging here?!). So, I went for a starter - for my starter - and another starter for my 'main'. For my official starter I had spicy fish cakes with a sweet chilli sauce. This is rapidly becoming a favourite starter of mine. This consisted of two small fish cakes about 5cm in diameter, the chilli sauce and a small salad garnish.

For my 'main' I had goat's cheese on tomato and basil bread with some tomatoes. The goat's cheese was about 1cm thick and 7cm in diameter and sat on a piece of bread with the same dimensions. This dish also had some rocket leaf garnish. For dessert, I had the said apple and blackberry crumble with a scoop of ice cream. The crumble was average size and had lots of fruit. I teased my husband (who had opted for the more calorie-rich chocolate fudge cake) that at least my dessert had some fresh fruit in it!

From my experience of counting calories over the past few months, I have estimated that my meal was about 1000 calories in total. Compared to how I would have eaten in the past, the total volume of the meal was quite small. However, I have a gastric band - and I'm left with the important question in my mind - should I be able to eat all of this? Although the meal has left me feeling pleasantly satisfied, I do not feel anything like 'really full'. Certainly, I will not want any more to eat this evening, but I could eat more if I tried! I suppose I am starting to wonder if I do actually have enough restriction from my band yet - even after eight adujstments! I rather think I might have to speak to my nurse and/or dietician in the next couple of weeks and see what they think...... in the meantime, I will have to just go on suffering and eating all this delicious food!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment