Friday, July 3, 2009

Shall I get a loud hailer?

I replied to a comment on my previous post by darling Kegs (Kerry) - and since I don't know if you see all the comments, I thought I'd repeat the general sense of my reply here.

But first a little background (all reported in previous posts): Initially, after getting banded, I took the decision not to tell anyone about it except my husband (he knew all about it beforehand of course). Then after a few weeks I found myself in a situation (Christmas) where I didn't have much choice but to tell my Dad and his partner - and once I'd done that it became awkward not to tell the rest of my family. Round about February time I told people in my church too because they had been so supportive about my weight loss - they are my closest friends and I wanted to be honest with them. Then there came a long gap, during which I didn't tell anyone else. A month or so ago I told a couple of ladies at work. I imagined they'd react with horror, with accusations of cheating or with constant nagging about what I eat. In reality, they've done nothing of the sort and have largely ignored what I told them - it's as though they have forgotten or I didn't tell them at all! Anyway, buoyed by these non-reactions I have recently told three other people at work and they've all reacted very supportively and sensibly.

And then there was the lady yesterday - and my conscience and all that. And Kegs has kinda challenged me to 'come out' - and it's got me thinking. The more time that passes, the closer I get to thinking I should "come out" - it just might make life easier! Seven months on from when I got banded, I now realise that one thing I forgot about was that once I lost a lot of weight - people would notice - I wouldn't be able to hide that fact any more! In fact at work, I really am getting constant reference to my weight loss - even from near strangers. However, I guess I just don't have enough faith in my own ability to stick with this thing and am scared of failing and people saying stuff. But then in my braver moments I think 'why should I give two hoots what anyone else thinks' - it's my body, my life, my band!!!

So for now, I say this: Give me a little more time - and a bit more success - my self-confidence and band-confidence will continue to grow. And then, you just never know - I might get myself a loud hailer and tell the lot of 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment