Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Going on the run?

Once upon a time, there was a slim woman who was very fit, ran 5 to 10 miles a day, did triathlons and trained twice a day. Then one day, she woke up and twenty years had passed by. Now, she was fat and totally unfit and could just about manage to walk, never mind run! But that was before she was kissed by a prince and got a gastric band. Eight months later, she found she wasn't so fat anymore, she could walk quite fast - and her head was telling her she might be able to run again. But deep in her heart, she doubted whether she would be able to because of all the damage that her obese years had done to her knees and hips. So, she had to find the magic wizard and ask him if she could run again......

........the story hasn't ended yet because I haven't found the magic wizard! I don't know if I will be able to run again or indeed whether this story has a happy ending or not. But, in case you missed it, my mind is eager, I think even desperate for my body to run again - and I just don't know if I can. "Well why not just try!", I hear you cry, yes, I guess I should. The thing is though, last time I ran, I looked like a runner and I was twenty-something. Now, I just look like a middle-aged, overweight fuddy duddy trying to re-live her youth! Maybe I am! Basically I am very self conscious about my body and the thought of anyone seeing me struggling to jog along the street fills me with fear!

I think I will plot and plan ahead and try to get in my first attempt under cover of darkness!

2 comments:

  1. Theresa, please please please go for it, you have come so far and done so well, I have religiously read your blog everyday and envy you and your band (funds do not run to it in our house, pardon the pun), go to a park not local to you and start there, with a BMI of 28 you will be looking pretty good now and in another couple of months no-one will give that slim fit woman a second glance, well only for all the right reasons. K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K for your lovely, supportive and encouraging comment. You're right - I should start somewhere where I won't be recognised and a bit 'out of the way'. I promise I'll let you know how I get on.....

    Oh, and I am so sorry you're not able to get a band at the moment. Have you tried the NHS? I do hope you make progress in whatever direction you desire.

    Trees

    ReplyDelete