Saturday, February 14, 2009

A better day today

Things have got back to normal today (I did eat the take-away last night and even followed it up with a low fat creamed rice!). I got up about 9am, went for a 50-minute walk, then ate breakfast (All Bran and orange juice), had a shower, and went off to the Healthier Weight Support Group for 1pm. I ate an Alpen Light cereal bar (only 59 calories) on the way back. I had a late lunch of salad, crispbread and cottage cheese and then went shopping. This evening, I ate a side plate of salmon, potatoes and mixed vegetables (green beans, leeks, mushrooms and spinach). I've just eaten a low fat yoghurt and am quite full now.

I'm still feeling a little low, partly because I'm disappointed in what happened yesterday. Having said that, at the support group this morning, several people talked about how they had similar 'bad' days from time to time. One lady said she sometimes got a 'worm' in her head and seemed completely unable to stop herself from doing things that she just knew were doing her harm (i.e. binging on chocolate, eating too big portions etc). This is pretty much what happened to me yesterday. The dietitian encouraged us all by reminding us that one bad day does not equal a disaster. Obviously, if every day were a bad day then there would be a more serious problem, but we should not give up or think of ourselves as failures after an occasional or one-off slip.

Something else that struck me following discussions this morning, is that physical activity has the effect on me, of making me feel good, positive, and hungering for healthy food. The corollary to this, is that an absence of physical activity makes me feel low, bad about myself, and hankering for sweet and fatty foods, everything that's bad for me. So, the moral of the tale is, I need to keep putting the physical activity first, and the rest should follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment