Sunday, February 22, 2009

Shopping for clothes

As I promised, I went shopping yesterday, mainly to get some new knickers. But, I thought, while I'm out I may as well see what other goodies there are for me in the shops! I started off in Marks and Spencers and BHS, in the underwear sections. I was not surprised to find that as a size 20 now, I still don't get a lot of choice. There were row upon row of size 8 through to 16, then a smattering of 18s and about three 20s! Still, I managed to find some I liked and bought them. I then turned my attention to trousers. Those I have been wearing recently are all getting ridiculously large, to the point where I can easily take most of them off without undoing buttons or zips. An amazing thing happened – I picked a pair off the rack, size, 20, and tried them on – they fit!! OK, so this may not sound very amazing, but believe me, this hasn't happened for many years! Usually, I have to set aside a whole day just to buy one pair of trousers. I have to search high and low before I even find any the right size, and then try on at least a dozen pairs before I find a pair that fit. And do you know what has been the most disheartening thing about buying trousers in the past? I almost always end up buying a pair that actually, I don't like, but I have no choice – I just have to buy what fits no matter what the style or colour or price tag. In the last couple of years I have had to resort to buying men's trousers which is the most dispiriting thing ever. Yesterday was different, the pair I picked off the rack was a pair that I liked the look of – and they did actually fit!

I bought a second pair of trousers – jeans - after trying a few more pairs of trousers. I discovered that I am definitely a size 20 at the moment – which is a drop of two sizes – I had previously been a large 24. The amazing thing about this buy was that I got them from Dorothy Perkins. I'm not really sure why I even went in there – I didn't really expect to actually be able to find anything big enough to fit me. In reality, they had quite a good selection of size 20 clothes. So there you go, another first, a Dorothy Perkins buy!

After the trousers, I turned my attention to T-shirts. I wear them a lot for work. Currently I have three or four favourite T-shirts that I wear all the time. The problem is, they are all starting to hang on me and look a little like mini-dresses! I looked around the shops - in the women's section, of course, - but found nothing that I liked. I have to confess at this point that I am, and always have been, something of a tomboy – so frilly, lacy, 'pretty' things don't attract me or suit me. I found what I wanted in the men's section at BHS and bought two T-shirts that fit me just right!

So all in all, I ended up with five pairs of knickers, two pairs of trousers and two T-shirts – a successful shopping spree by all accounts! I also came back suitably buoyed knowing that I have dropped two 'dress' sizes in women's clothes and moved from large to medium in men's!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog...you are so cool and real. You are doing great!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manda,

    Thanks for the lovely, encouraging comment! Can't remember the last time anyone said I was 'cool'!! Glad you enjoy reading, best of luck wherever you are.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete