Monday, February 23, 2009

I can make you thin......

This is the rather catchy title of a book by the well-known hypnotist, Paul McKenna. I haven't yet decided whether I have invested my money wisely, or been 'done', but I bought a copy from WHSmiths while out clothes shopping at the weekend. If what I wanted was a good read, then I've had my moneys-worth already - I've finished it, from cover to cover! I have also listened to the 30-minute CD recording that comes with the book. It's not a thick book and is written in a nice, easy flowing style that comes across as very human, and very 'knowing'. It's as though he knows, understands, what makes fat people tick. He knows all our tricks too, and excuses for not committing to weight loss.... But the good news is, he is totally against diets. In fact he argues "if you continue to diet, you will gain weight and keep it on for life" (p123). McKenna claims to offer The Simplest Weight-Loss System in the World (TM). The book contains a number of 'mind-reprogramming' exercises that largely involve thinking through situations and using our imagination to invoke positive thoughts about ourselves, our bodies, our eating and exercise habits. I don't know whether this actually does re-programme your mind, but it does no harm to spend a little time thinking positive thoughts anyway.

The book explores the three different patterns of eating; (i) obsessive dieting, (ii) emotional eating, and (iii) faulty programming (self-blame) and invites the reader to identify with one of these. I am definitely an emotional eater. Simply recognising this and identifying with his description of an emotional eater has already helped me. Awareness is always the first step in self-analysis and improvement.

The best bit about the book, and the bit that is most compatible with those who have a band, is the 'system'. The System involves sticking to four rules - there is even a card in the back of the book to stick in your wallet so you are constantly reminded of the rules. The rules are:

1. When you are hungry, EAT.

2. EAT WHAT YOU WANT, not what you think you should.

3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY and enjoy every mouthful.

4. When you think you are full, STOP eating.

I'll say more about these rules tomorrow because I think they are worth exploring in more depth - and comparing with the 'rules' for bandits. Until then........

2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that...... Far easier said than done I found, my willpower lasted a week on this method -I think its great advice and very similar to life with the band (put the fork down between mouthfuls - yes! have to do this now!!!!) and good practice for when you are thin, to not put it all back on - I've certainly kept my CD version of this book and hypnotherapy tapes things that came with it....... You've got me thinking - it might be a lot easier to stick to now I have the band - might dust off the book and give it amother whirl... Thanks for the memory jog..... Love Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Kegs! Yes, I think you're right. I am a little sceptical about the mind-games stuff, and not all of the advice is compatible with having a gastric band. However, there's also a lot of basic good advice in there too - so probably worth you dusting off that ol' book! Let us know if it helps at all!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete