Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Post-fill update

A couple of days ago I was wondering what, actually, is the reason behind having to go on fluids-only for three days and purees-only for another three days every time we have a fill? I asked this question on one of the forums and it seems that the main thing is to allow a little time – actually about 24 hours is sufficient – for the new fluid in the band to ‘settle’. It also allows a bit of time for any inflammation to settle down, though if the band adjustment goes very normally, as mine did, then inflammation isn’t very likely. Judging from other bandits, it would seem that while the advice given by most providers is to stay on fluids and purees for a total of six days, most actually move onto solids within 24 to 48 hours. Some people even said that while the three to six days thing was the official line, their dietician actually said they could go back to full solids after just 24 hours.

I guess the decision as to how quickly we go back to solids is a judgment call for us to make. Personally, I had absolutely no difficulty in swallowing fluids the same evening as I had my fill and even started on thicker soups the next day. By today, three days after my fill, I have managed porridge, creamed rice, a spicy vegetable dahl, scrambled egg, mashed potato and various types of soup – all without incident (but not all at the same time!!!). Because these are all ‘slider’ foods I cannot judge whether I have any increased restriction or not – but there is certainly no overt sign of it at the moment.

As a result, and since everything has gone well to date, tonight I am moving onto ‘soft solids’. For dinner I’m going to have soft boiled potatoes and vegetables with steamed salmon. If this goes down without any problem then tomorrow I will be on medium solids (eg the texture of normal boiled vegetables, All-Bran for breakfast – that kind of thing). If that all goes down OK then tomorrow evening or the next day I will move onto the harder, ‘more difficult, solids (eg raw fruit, salad and vegetables, crispbreads, and I might even try some bread and/or nuts).

This afternoon I have been sorely tempted to go and binge on some chocolate. It’s been a tiring couple of days at work and I seem to have encountered a higher number of incompetent staff than usual! Wouldn’t it be fantastic if someone could invent a sugar-free chewing gum or Polo or something, that would have the same soothing effect on stressed out minds as chocolate does! So far I have held on to my diet – this was helped by a colleague who I bumped into in the corridor just now. I haven’t seen her for a few weeks and she made such a fuss about how good I look! I explained that I was on the verge of a chocolate binge but she tried to persuade me to eat fruit instead. The funny thing is, while I am still on slider foods, I can’t actually eat that lovely juicy apple I have in my desk drawer! It’s time will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment