Monday, April 20, 2009

Food, food, everywhere!!

As I sit here wondering what to write in my blog today, the TV is on and I cannot avoid seeing what's on. I'm watching 'The Devil Wears Prada' -about a young woman who becomes an assistant to a fashion magazine editor (played by Meryl Streep). One thing that's completely missing from this film, is food. All the people who work for this editor are a size zero (whatever that is) and none of them ever eat! They are all skin and bone and their goal in life is simply to look good (or to conform with the acceopted vision of what is looking 'good').

Then the ads come on and there's Jamie Oliver advertising for Sainsbury and making a delicious-looking couscous, red onion and cherry tomato dish - delicious enough to make my mouth water! On the other channel is Hell's Kitchen - a bunch of celebrities cooking up weird and wonderful courdon bleu dishes. I glance at the TV Guide and see that tomorrow, there will be a programme on called 'The Hospital', and it's about the proliferation of gastric band surgery among teenagers. It seems that wherever I look, someone is talking about food, or avoiding food, or dieting, or cooking it, or eating it!! Food, food everywhere - and not a drop to eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment