Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I'm no sinner.....

My husband said he heard a song on the radio today that went something like this: "I'm no saint, I'm no sinner, it's all cool, if I get thinner". As well as fitting in well with the title of yesterday's blog post, I also thought it sounded like an excellent anthem for all bandits!!

I haven't been quite as much of a glutton as yesterday but have still eaten some 'forbidden fruits' today. This afternoon I ate a Danish pastry - and paid for it. I was enjoying it so much that I forgot my good habits and ate it too fast. Soon, I was experiencing the familiar feeling of indigestion and an intense burning in my upper chest (good job it didn't happen on the first aid course I had just finished or I might have had some well-meaning first aiders thinking I was having a heart attack!!). This then developed into the build-up of saliva in my mouth and I was back to some fairly serious 'saliva-pouring' that went on for ages.

I have never read anything about this phenomenon but I imagine it is the body's way of helping the blocked food to get down. By producing excessive amounts of saliva, it helps the food to turn to mush and go through the stoma into the stomach. However, until the blocked food starts moving, the excess saliva has only one way to go - and that is up! It seemed to go on for about 20 minutes - I think the longest period I have experienced this - and it left me feeling knackered!

Anyway, I have decided I am not a complete waste of space - I'm going swimming this evening and expect to burn off quite a few calories, including that darned Danish pastry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment