Saturday, April 11, 2009

Post-fill restriction update

I can't figure this band out. Since my last fill its behaviour has been variable and unpredictable. Most of the time I feel as though I have some, but limited, restriction. I eat modest portions of food but am looking for food before my next meal time. However, a few times recently I have experienced more definite restriction. A few days ago, for example, I was really full after eating each of my three meals and couldn't manage any additional snacks. This happened two days running. Then yesterday and today, I have been hungry and looking for food all day, but experienced unusual fullness in the evening. Take this evening, for instance, I sat down to eat a very normal meal. It was potato, a vegetable bake and some veggies - all fitting easily on a small side plate and with a total calorie count of about 270. I only got as far as eating about one quarter of it before feeling very full. I hadn't eaten anything before it for at least 5.5 hours. I managed just a little more but have put the rest aside (perhaps to eat for lunch tomorrow?).

I have heard of lots of people who have more restriction in the morning, but only a few who had more in the evening. I remember hearing about one lady who was getting much more restriction in the evening and so decided to 'switch' her lunch and evening meal. She now has her main meal of the day at lunch time, and a smaller 'lunch' type snack in the evening. I am wondering whether I have this too - i.e. more restrition in the evening - though I don't yet have enough evidence to be certain. I guess I will have to monitor the situation for a while longer.

I have been very careful over the last couple of weeks to get the texture of my food right. It is important to avoid slider foods and focus on more crunchy, 'solid' foods. I have been cooking vegetables so that they are quite crunchy and chewy. I've also been doing the same with potatoes, cooking pasta al dente, and eating solid proteins such as chewy salmon and beans. I no longer add gravy to my main meals to avoid them becoming slider foods and try to make my meals with a more dry consistency. So, in this sense, I think I am obeying all the rules as necessary. I haven't yet felt any real restriction in the morning.

I have been thinking about whether I need to get another small fill. I guess my current thinking is that at the moment, most of the time I don't have enough restriction, but I do have the right amount on a rare occasions. If I get another small fill, this should mean that on rare occasions I have too much restriction, and get the right amount of restriction most of the time. I think I could cope with this. Having too much restriction on rare occasions could be overcome by using protein shakes instead of food. I've read about quite a few people who regularly don't eat breakfast because of restriction, but have a protein shake or other drinks instead. In fact, the handbook given me by my provider says exactly this: "People often say that their band feels more restricted in the morning" and "Many people don't feel like breakfast...... The general rule is that if you don't feel like eating, don't bother". Now, it may be that in my case, it is not breakfast that is the problem, but evening meal - but I can cope with that in exactly thre same way.

For now, I think I need to monitor the situation for a while longer and see what happens before making a decision about my next fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment