Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back on solids - or am I? Part two

.....continuing from yesterday..... The salmon meal arrived and I just sat there and laughed at it - it was HUGE! The salmon was at least twice the size of anything I had eaten in the last six months and was accompanied by five very large new potatoes and half a large plateful of salad doused in mayonnaise! Well, even I knew that I wasn't going to be able to do this meal justice, but my 'fat' brain told me that I couldn't possibly waste the salmon - so I somehow stuffed it all in! I also managed one small potato - and that was my lot - I had already eaten goats cheese beforehand, don't forget!

What was interesting about Friday, was that I had much greater restriction in the morning. This eased off a little around lunch time, and then by evening, the band was relatively loose. Had I been faced with goat's cheese, salmon and potatoes in the morning I would probably have only managed one tenth of what I did manage to eat. I am aware that many bandits experience much more restriction in the morning but although I have felt hints of this previously, this is the first time I have noticed such a marked difference.

Saturday started off interestingly because I was to experience breakfast 'out'. Even before I was banded I was in the habit of not eating breakfast until relatively late - an hour or two after I get to work, and at weekends I usually lie-in and eat breakfast relatively late too. So this was going to be a test - getting up, showered, dressed, and then eating breakfast straightaway at 8am.... I started off with yoghurt rather than risk crunchy cereal. It was going down fine but it took me so long to eat - I was really just dipping the spoon in and licking it - so it took ages. I struggled a little to swallow the orange juice. This is a bit odd - finding more difficulty swallowing liquids than yoghurt or soft solids - I experienced this after an earlier fill but I have never sorted out the reason for it.

The host arrived with my breakfast long before I had finished the yoghurt and seemed surprised (I'm sure she must have thought I was just a gas-bag who had been talking rather than eating!!). I had previously selected scrambled egg and potato scone for my cooked breakfast because I thought these would go down easiest. Again - they went down OK - but really, really slowly. My other half had eaten all his massive, traditional Scottish cooked breakfast, followed up with loads of jam and toast and had three cups of tea before I had even eaten one fifth of mine!! It's ironic because he doesn't really enjoy eating out - he hates waiting......!

Lunch time was not dissimilar to the day before - I bought a cheese salad roll and ate it in three separate mini-lunches! ...And very slowly but without any real difficulty.

For evening meal, I decided that I wanted a treat - well we were away on a celebration weekend weren't we?! I decided I would have a main course followed by dessert. My plan of action included ordering an OAP size main course so that I would still have room for the dessert! Well either they forgot, or pensioners eat large meals in Scotland, because the main meal was quite large. It was pasta with spinach, goat's cheese and pine nuts. It was billed on the menu as a "light, healthy option" and it was lovely. I ate most of the cheese, pine nuts and spinach but left about a third of the pasta. I was stuffed! Too stuffed for dessert - it even made me feel sick to think about eating anything else!

So, despite feeling a little despondent a couple of days before, I was now getting cautiously optimistic that this fill was going to 'the one'..... continued tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment