Thursday, May 21, 2009

Some patterns emerging

I believe that in the fuzziness and unpredictability of my band, there are possibly some patterns in its behaviour emerging....

1. It's definitely MUCH tighter in the morning
2. It's A LOT easier to eat mushy food than to drink (yes!)
3. It's easier to drink AFTER I have eaten than before (yes again)
4. It's easier to eat mushy food than 'smooth' food like yoghurt or soup

When I say "it's easier.....", I mean that the harder option gives me mild pain in my chest (in between my boobs) and all round the sides to the middle of my back! I also get mild heartburn, lots of gurgling in my throat, and occasionally slime. I had a slime moment today - and it wasn't after I ate my dinner (Weight Watcher's ocean pie) - it was after eating a smoth Muller Light yoghurt. Well, I say "after", I had only actually eaten one fifth of it!

I really don't understand this thing about drinking being harder than eating. When I drink, the only way I can get it down is to take tiny, tiny sips - it took me about two hours this morning to drink 0.5 litres of low sugar Ribena. Even sipping it very slowly I was getting a considerable amount of discomfort - to the point that I felt like not bothering - but I know how important it is to keep drinking and stay hydrated. It feels almost like someone taking the end of a vacuum cleaner to my insides - like a sort of suction effect!

And (if you've been reading the last few posts you will know this) I have only experienced any post-fill difficulties of this sort in the last couple of days. Initially, through the fluid, mush and early solid phases - it all seemed fine! I have posted a message on the UKGastricBand forum to see if anyone has any ideas. But failing that, I am going to persevere for at least a few more days before perhaps calling my nurse to see what she says.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment