Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Whooohoooo!!

More about the trip to Scotland. I do this trip every year. There is one day when myself and my colleagues walk up a steep valley in the Highlands. The total ascent is only about 300m but it's quite steep and takes a considerable effort. I've done this walk on the last three occasions that we've done this trip. I have absolutely hated it. The thought of doing this walk has filled me with dread for months beforehand and has been the central subject of nightmares - really. I've dreaded it so much because it's been exhausting. My colleagues are so much fitter than me and so I have always trailed miles behind them, slowing them down and slowing down the whole visit. While they have light-footedly flown up the mountain and arrived at the top fresh-faced and ready for more, I have arrived totally out of breath, sweat pouring down my face, red-faced (though purple is probably more like it) and it's just been such an awful experience. I haven't even been able to look at the features we were supposed to be looking at because I have been so fixated on simply putting one foot in front of the other. For the last three years I have been totally embarrassed about my physical condition and the sheer effort that I have needed to get up this dammed hill.

But not any more!! This time it was different. Weighing five and a half stones less and feeling so much fitter, I had actually been looking forward to this climb. For the first time, I regarded it as a challenge to be met head-on. I really was excited at the prospect of testing myself - to see how my fitness levels had improved over the past few months. I was not to be disappointed.....

In the past I have always taken up my obvious position at the back of the party (of about 20 people). I've started last and finished last - miles behind everyone else. This year, feeling positive, I decided to position myself about half way through the group and just see how I got on......... I got to the top with only four people in front of me!!! FANTASTIC!!! That was how I felt! I arrived at the top feeling as though I could have gone on a lot further. I felt fresh. There was harly a bead of sweat on me. There was a spring in my step. I was even able to stop along the route at 'difficult' spots and assist others along the path!! I was one of the first people down too. Amazing.

Back in the vehicles afterwards, making our way back to base, I commented to a trusted colleague on my increased level of fitness and said how great I felt. I couldn't resist but let out a huge"WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!" - I was just so excited!!

I know there are lots of reasons for wanting to lose weight - improved health, appearance, practicalities (e.g. clothes etc). But for me, my lack of fitness has always been a key driver. I know I still have a long way to go - this was after all, just a 300m climb, not exactly Everest eh?! BUT, it's a great start, it has improved my self-confidence no end and for the first time since I started this weight loss-band venture, I truly feel that I have made some real, lasting progress.

So, in case you missed it the first time round, WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa
    I am smiling reading about you climbing your mountain. What you say absolutely echoes how I feel too. Being unfit and unhealthy was my prime motivator too and although I am a way behind you I feel so much fitter too. I can now keep up with my husband who although older than me was always fitter. I used to be sooo embarrassed when we had to walk anywhere together cos I would be sweating, getting palpitations, usually crying etc cos I felt so cr*p. I feel so proud now that I can just do a normal walk and feel good, in fact a couple of times I have been ready to carry on while he has had enough.
    Anyway didn't mean to rabbit on about me, wanted to say well done hun, I am so pleased for you and thanks for sharing that, it has given me a real lift!
    Gil
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gil,

    Thanks very much for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Yes, I know EXACTLY how you felt - I've done the palpitations and crying bit too. However, let's be positive - it's amazing how just a little bit of walking each day can make such a huge difference to fitness in a few months.

    Keep up the good work, in just a little while you'll be running!!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete