Thursday, March 5, 2009

Aspiration no.1

I travelled to Birmingham yesterday for a small aspiration. I had 0.5ml taken out leaving me with 7ml in the band - 0.5ml more than before my last fill. Straight afterwards I was able to drink a glass of water fairly smoothly, without any pain, gurgling, heartburn or 'slime'! Oh, the relief is palpable! I have been put on Rinitidine (an anti-indigestion formula) for a few days to reduce any inflamation in my oesophagus that might have been caused by the retching and saliva-pouring (what others sem to refer to as the 'slime').

Today I have been in Birmingham again, this time for a work-related meeting. A buffet lunch was provided so, being on fluids again (have I ever been off them?!), I drank some cold tomato soup that I had taken with me. Well, actually, I only drank half of it, it being decidely unpalatable. I have been feeling fairly full all day on relatively little food so the early signs are that I have good restriction wihout all the nastiness of pain etc.

It's been a long day and I could do with some food now, so I'm going to have some of my home-made fish soup again, left over from yesterday. This really is a winner, try it - here's the recipe:

1. Cook a boil-in-the-bag cod in parsley sauce in the microwave.
2. Defrost (in the microwave) a good handful of frozen prawns.
3. Boil, on the hob, some small-cut peeled potatoes together with a couple of handfuls of frozen sweetcorn.
4. Chuck all this in the blender with enough milk and/or water (2:1 milk:water is best) to produce the right consistency and add some vegetable (or other) gravy powder/granules.
5. Blend, heat up in the microwave if necessary, eat!

Lovely!

2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your diary. I saw Dr Ashton last week and he gave me the go ahead for banding but I am trying to justify the cost. My BMI is 31.5 and my problem is a life of bad habits and dieting not volume. Your story helps to put it all in context

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your kind comment. Your BMI seems quite low for gastric surgery - it's lower than mine is now, even though I've lost nearly five stone!! I am not sure the band will help you deal with bad habits - you can still eat 'bad' food with the band in place.

    As for cost, I am saving about £250 a month through not buying all the rubbish food I used to eat - that means I will have recouped the cost of surgery in just over two years!!

    Good luck, whatever you decide.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete