Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sharing experiences

I went to the HW support group meeting today and it found it really helpful. It wasn't so much the formal presentation (though that was also very useful), but more the general sharing of experiences among the bandits present. It's unbelievably helpful to know that other people have experienced similar struggles, successes and concerns as I have. I got so much out of the meeting I cannot hope to relay it all to you, but here's a selection of things I recall:

1. My hair is still falling out! I was advised to take some zinc supplement tablets or kelp. However, the hair loss is very widely known among people who have lost a lot of weight and is only temporary (I was assured that I wont go bald!). I bought some zinc supplement tablets from Boots on the way home - they are not chewable but seem small enough to swallow without any trouble.

2. A man who reached his target weight about four months ago (and looks fantastic) has not had a de-fill. He's stopped losing weight because he's chosen to consume more calories by eating 4-6 small meals per day. He says he eats anything, including some chocolate, but in limited quantities. He had also had a tummy tuck! It's funny seeing him now and not having known him before his weight loss - if I just saw him in the street I wouldn't have had the slightest clue that he was once super-obese!

3. I came away from the meeting feeling really reassured about getting another fill tomorrow. I have been a little anxious about it because of what happened last time (slime, pain and indigestion). However, hearing what other people can (or cannot) eat, it's clear that I do not have the same level of restriction as them. One man said he was in the same position as me some time ago and had had a very small fill of just 0.2ml and it made all the difference and got him to his 'sweet spot'.

4. I asked what signs a person gets that they are at the right level of restriction and was told (by several experienced bandits) that "you just know" when you get there - "you will know".

5. One person shared that although they had been banded and reached their 'sweet spot' a long time ago, they still exprienced very variable restriction - some days wondering "how in earth did I manage to eat all of that" and other days unable to eat more than a mouthful or two of a meal. I have had some hints of this - some days I seem to have restriction, and other days not.

6. Another man told us how during the week while he's at work he buys his lunch from a local sandwich shop. When he first went there he asked if they could make him a sandwich with just one slice of bread and since then they have nicknamed him "Arfur" - as in 'alf a sandwich!!! Nice to know that some outlets are willing to make special concessions for regulars.

Well that's it in terms of hard facts. The main thing I gained from today is just a sense of not being in this alone, that loads of other people have been there before me and are willing to share their experiences. If you are reading this and get an opportunity to go to a support group I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment