Saturday, March 7, 2009

Working for a compliment

I'm at work today, doing some extra duties with colleagues. I was walking along a corridor with one of my colleagues, one with whom I have had occasional 'difficulties'. He said, quietly, "I hope you don't mind me saying this, Theresa...." - and my heart sank. I imagined he was going to make some complaint about a contentious issue that had arisen in a difficult meeting we'd had yesterday. But to my immense surprise and amazement, what he actually said, was, "....you look fantastic!"

Wow! I was slightly speechless for one of the rare moments in my life. Then I summoned up "how could I possibly mind you saying that?!" I thanked him and he asked a couple of questions about how I was 'doing it' (i.e. losing weight, though the word 'weight' was not actually mentioned!) - doing exercise, healthy eating etc. He said he'd couldn't help noticing while sat across from me in the meeting yesterday and thinking "wow, she looks really different!".

Well, you know what? I wasn't particularly looking forward to having to come into work on a Saturday. But it was worth every ounce of effort it cost me just to hear such a wonderful compliment - and especially from someone with whom I have had a little tension. It goes to show, you just never know what people are really thinking.......

No comments:

Post a Comment