Friday, March 6, 2009

Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery

...or S.I.L.S as it is known for short. Professor Favretti, top surgeon at Healthier Weight (who operated on me!) has performed the first gastric band operation in the UK that involved a single incision - through the belly button! Click on the link above to go to the web page that includes a photo of the post-surgery belly button in question. Apart from the obvious advantage that a single incision is an aesthetic improvement, it also reduces infection risk and increases the speed of recovery.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Theresa i a new to this I would just like to say thank you for sharing your gastric band journey with people like me who are considering the operation and with Healthier Weight. I would like to have the single incision but wondered if anyone else had had this ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for your kind comments.

    I spoke with Dr Ashton at Healthier Weight on Saturday and he said that Dr Favretti (the surgeon) had performed six SILS operations to date, including two on Saturday. If you post a message on the UKGastricBand forum you might find out if there's anyone out there who has had it done (though I don't think there are very many at all in the UK yet).

    For what it's worth, the four tiny scars and the slightly larger port scar that I have are really neat and hardly noticeable.

    Good luck,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete