Monday, March 23, 2009

Post-fill impatience

I'm supposed to be on my second day of fluids today but have already lost patience! I stuck to fluids during the day but by the time I got home from work I was impatient to get back to mush. Everything I've consumed today has gone down really well, without any hint of any problems like I had before. This evening my will weakened and I decided to opt for a soft mush meal of mashed potato (ready-made from Tesco!), tinned tomato and scrambled egg. I ate it really slowly and it took about half an hour. I'm delighted to say that it all went down without any problems at all, and has left me feeling very satisfied. I will go back to soup and protein shake tomorrow for breakfast and lunch but will have mush in the evening again.

I am still not entirely sure what the reasoning is behind going on fluids for three days and mush for three days following a fill. I have heard people saying it is to allow the stomach time to settle after being 'disturbed' with the fill. I have also heard about some people who suffer terribly immediately after each fill - with pain, vomiting and indigestion - but this goes away after a few days and often they find they still don't have any restriction. It seems some people have sensitive stomachs and they react to fills. However, my stomach seems perfectly happy at the moment so I doubt it will do any damage going back to mush too soon - especially as I have been very careful about eating slowly and chewing carefully (if 'chewing' is what you do to mashed potato and runny scrambled egg!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment