Friday, March 13, 2009

Ramblings on restriction

I have been talking to some fellow bandits about how to tell if I have restriction or not – and how to be sure whether I am getting the 'full' feeling or not. What follows is a summary of some of the advice I have been given.

Some of us obese people, who have lived through a lifetime of over-eating have actually lost the ability to truly and accurately sense when and if we are 'full'. Some bandits use a hunger scale similar to that suggested by Paul McKenna (see my post http://gastricbandblog-theresa.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-can-make-you-thin-part-two.html). One on the scale is equivalent to Physically Faint and ten on the scale is Nauseous. Some dieticians advice that we should stop eating when we get to about number six on the scale. In other words, we shouldn't necessarily be aiming to feel 'full', just 'satisfied'. A full feeling may be accompanied by a sense of bloatedness. In my recent experience, this doesn't kick in for at least 10 or 15 minutes after I have finished eating!

The Paul McKenna Hunger Scale
  1. Physically faint
  2. Ravenous
  3. Fairly hungry
  4. Slightly hungry
  5. Neutral
  6. Pleasantly satisfied
  7. Full
  8. Stuffed
  9. Bloated
  10. Nauseous
If we eat until satisfied, then this should keep us going for about 3 to 4 hours and our next meal. If our next meal is more than 3 to 4 hours away, then healthy snacking is OK. Healthy snacks could include low fat yoghurt, perhaps with some cereal crunched in for added texture. Fruit is also an ideal snack. To reduce hunger between meals, hot drinks are a good idea (I occasionally have a low fat hot chocolate, for example), or suck a mint or chew gum (being careful not to swallow it!).

One bandit said that when eating meals, we should eat the proteins first, followed by the veggies and then the carbs last. I am not sure what the reasoning is behind this and I haven't heard of it before - but I am going to try it and see if it makes any difference!

Sometimes it takes a while to get in tune with our bands – it's like having a new part to our bodies and trying to get used to responding to it and working with it.

Personally, I think that I definitely have some restriction. I know that if I eat too fast I get hints of indigestion and very mild pain (iron fist – but very mild). I also think that I have been expecting a very definite “right that's it, I'm full” kind of feeling and this is probably unrealistic. In reality, I need to stop eating when satisfied rather than get to the point where I am full. Also, because of the time delay between eating and 'full' messages getting to my brain, I am probably continuing on past the point at which I am physically satisfied, if you see what I mean! As well as simply being impatient by nature (!), I think another problem I have is that I am a little afraid of consuming too many calories on a daily basis. The result is, that on so-called 'good' days I have actually not consumed enough. I should be aiming for 1000-1200 per day but have been regularly eating only about 850-900. What I think I should do from now on, is to continue eating the same size meals as I have done, but be much more willing to eat healthy snacks in between to control my hunger. I plan on taking a snack pack to work with me every day next week – full of apples, nectarines, yoghurts and the like. After all, if I ate a small apple, a small nectarine, a low fat yoghurt and a low fat cereal bar, it would still only amount to about 200 calories extra – which is exactly what I need!

Oh, it's soooo good to know that there are helpful people out there who are willing to pass on their experience, advice and encouragement. Thank you to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment