Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dry is best?

The day before yesterday we ate out and I demolished a reasonable sized pasta dish without any trouble. It was tagliatelle with salmon and a creamy sauce. Then last night I cooked a pasta dish. It was penne with tinned tuna, a little Red Leicester cheese, and chopped red onion, aubergine and mushroom. There was no sauce as such, just the natural juices from the vegetables. It was delicious, and slightly smaller than the pasta salmon dish I'd had the night before. Yet I could only just about manage half of it. How come?

Well, of course I know that the band has a mind of it's own and behaves differently on different days, but as a scientist I was looking for a more rational explanation! The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that my pasta dish was much drier in consistency so perhaps wouldn't have slipped through my band constriction so easily. The salmon dish, on the other hand, being quite creamy, would have turned into what was effectively a 'slider' food - and passed straight through.

This is only my conjecture, based on lots of things I've read and heard, but it does seem to make sense. Certainly my provider's advice centres on the type and texture of food we eat to get the most out of the band. I find that while 'good' textured foods are obvious (e.g. crunchy vegetables) and 'bad' textured foods are equally obvious (e.g. chocolate, ice cream, anything really fatty) - everything in between is still a bit of a mystery to me! I think it's just a matter of trial and error - but of course food that works well on one day might not work so well on another!! Cor, I'm making meself depressed again!!

Anyway, the end note to this tale is that I ate the other half of my pasta meal for breakfast this morning - and it was just as luvverly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment