Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gym induction

On Monday this week I took the plunge and went down to my local gym to find out what they had to offer! I got loads of infomation about classes, their fitness suite etc and booked an 'induction' for the gym on Tuesday. Tuesday came and I kitted myself out in some very baggy leggings - fortunately they had a waist tie that I used to tighten them up (at least they wouldn't fall down!). I also put on a T-shirt that was probably big enough for two of us! On my feet I wore the running shoes that I purchsed, at great expense, some TWENTY years ago!! I couldn't help noticing that they fit me better than they have done for years because my feet have shrunk!

I was slightly fearful that the gym would be full of slinky, thin people wearing the latest fashions and glowing, rather than sweating. But I was in for a surprise because when I arrived there were a wide range of people - all ages, shapes and sizes, including a number of people who looked a lot less fit than me. I was shown around all of the equipment, some of which looked like it would suit better in a torture chamber! I was then let loose to have a try myself.

I spent a good hour and a half (it went by very quickly) experimenting on the treadmill, cross trainer, cycle, rowing machine and loads of different weight machines. I must confess that I really quite enjoyed the experience. I never felt out of place as I feared I might -I was just there, doing my bit, trying to get a bit fitter - just like everyone else, I suppose.

When I left, I decided to buy a one month 'pay-as-you-go' membership. At £28, compared with £5.50 for a one-off visit, it works out very good value as long as you visit at least once per week. The price includes use of the swimming pool and day-time classes. I am thinking that I really would like to make a visit to the gym a permanent fixture in my weekly routine. My main goal is to get some strength and toning to my muscles - especially in my arms (which are very weak). At the same time, I can also get some more intensive aerobic exercise - this may get more important over the winter months when poor weather may make it less inviting to go for a walk when I get home from work.

I'm planning to go again soon - I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment