Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pigged out

Over the past few days I have developed an ever-increasing craving for chocolate or other sweet things. I've been quite proud of the way I have steadfastly resisted these cravings, adopting all kinds of brain-confusing strategies to help along the way. Alas, my success had to come to an end - and last night it did. I had to go to Tesco to do some shopping and I sort of knew that I was going to buy some things that I shouldn't. I bought some chocolate, but worse, I spotted packs of two iced buns - my absolute favorite, and one ended up in my trolley (I don't know how?!!!). On the way home I told myself that I would try to make my chocolate and buns last at least until tomorrow. Wishful thinking!

In the event, I chomped through a chunky KitKat, a packet of milk chocolate buttons and a bar of Dairy Milk, PLUS not one, but two, iced buns (385 calories each). This was in addition to my normal lunch, evening meal and a dessert of yoghurt and raspberries. I clocked up a total of 2500 calories for the day.

I went to bed, and as I lie there trying to get to sleep, my stomach started to rumble and rumble. It sounded, and felt, as though there were a volcanic eruption about to occur inside and I felt very uncomfortable. I suppose it's not surprising since I'd subjected my stomach to a stuffing by foods it hasn't seen or months. After a while I resorted to the horrible Gaviscon - horrid but it works! I felt fine this morning and the cravings had gone.

Weird this isn't it? In the past, I would have had almost constant cravings - nothing would cause those cravings to go. Now, it seems that when the cravings get really bad, I just need to satisfy them once - and they go away! I guess all I need to do now is to learn how to have just one bar of chocolate or one iced bun - or one anything - rather than resorting to my 'old' behaviours. Although it's a little disappointing that yesteday was a right pig-out, I'm not downhearted. I understand now that these bad days will occur, whatever I do - and one bad day does not ruin all the good work I've put in over the past months.

In fact today, I've been for a strenuous walk in the Pennines, which included some gentle jogging! I've burned about 1200 calories - more than I will eat all day today! So, yesterday's blip is just that - a minor blip. Accept that they happen - I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment