Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to the grind!

I've had a much better day today. I've left my bad eating habits behind in Durham and am back 'on the wagon'! I had some muesli and all bran for breakfast but couldn't manage it all. For lunch I ate a lovely tuna salad that came in a tin! That probably sounds awful but it really was tasty - coated with a light French dressing (only 221 calories). I got hungry in the afternoon and ate a low fat creamed rice. This evening I've eaten some potatoes, mixed veg and two vegetarian hot dog sausages. I followed that up with a Muller Light yoghurt. So far I've had about 1,000 calories but am feeling slightly peckish again. I may have a light protein boost before going to bed.

I know I said this a couple of days ago but I think it's worth repeating: The band really does work when it comes to restricting good, healthy foods. However, it may as well not be there when it comes to unhealthy, high calorie foods rich in sugar and high in fat. I was told this right at the beginning of my band journey and I've read it umpteen times since. I've listened to people saying this, offering advice on it and overheard discussions about it. But do you know what? It's only been in the last few days that I have truly realised the reality of the way that the band works. I don't think it has been so obvious to me before. Scoffing down kit kats, biscuits, peanuts and cheese sandwiches - it truly is as though I have no band. But on the same day as doing all that scoffing, I experienced true fullnes and restriction from the band when eating boiled potatoes and vegetables, together with some sort of protein.

I bet when I read back over this in days, weeks or months to come, I'll probably think I was mad to have taken so long to truly 'get' the band. But when you are right in the thick of it - it is sometimes difficult to gain a true perspective. So, here's what the band is really all about: If you are prepared to make good food choices then the band will do the rest. If you expect to be able to eat what you like and let the band do all the work - it will hardly do a thing for you. This band is no easy option - it's tough. But if you work with it, it works with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment