Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hypocrisy or kindness?

OK, I admit, sometimes it's really nice when people say complementary things about the way I look or how well I've done with my weight loss. When people first started noticing and commenting on my weight loss it really gave me a boost to hear them say so. But now it's getting silly. There are people I know who now seem to have absolutely nothing to say to me that doesn't revolve around my weight loss. And that's not all. Why does the fact that I've lost weight suddenly give people the right to ask really personal questions? How much do I weigh? What did I used to weigh? What's my target weight? How come I got so obese in the first place? Do I get trapped wind or constipation?!! I'm not kidding!

But you know what's really bugging me? I was obese for twenty years and for fifteen of those I was morbidly obese. Now, with the exception of my darling husband and a couple of comments from my older brother and my Dad, NOBODY EVER SAID A WORD TO ME ABOUT MY WEIGHT (upper case intentional!). Don't get me wrong, I understand that people might gave been reluctant to raise the topic for fear of upsetting me or something, but if they'd really cared so much WHY didn't they talk to me about my weight? Why did no-one ever enquire as to whether I was happy or not with my weight? How come no-one ever thought to warn me of the dangers to my health and mobility? Why didn't anyone give me any encouraging words that might have spurred me on to think more seriously about dealing with my weight problem? And yet now, apparently it's open season for any Tom, Dick or Harry to discuss my weight.

I know that I must take ultimate responsibility for my body, my weight and my life. But my only regret about having a gastric band is that I didn't have it done sooner. I cannot help wondering, that if some of my friends, family, neighbours and work colleagues had said something, I just might not have been in denial for so long, and I just may have got a band and changed my life around sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment