Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dog bites more than it can chew

We went put for a nice walk in North Wales today to get some exercise. We chose a spot near Halkyn Hill near Mold. The area gas some large, modern quarries and also a rich heritage of ancient lead mines. As a consequence the area is cross-crossed with numerous footpaths over open moorland. It's really picturesque and covered with gorse bushes and many hillocks and hollows. There are also many scattered farmhouses.....

It was as we were passing one of those farms that two dogs came rushing out, barking madly. The larger one just barked a lot and then ran round us a couple of times with it's tail wagging. The other one, a really small dog resembling a corgi with longer legs, came straight at me like a bullet and bit my leg!! It took a few seconds for me to realise what had happened but then it started to hurt. By this time a lady had appeared and in a state of shock I yelled at her "your dog just bit me!". I pulled up my trouser leg to inspect the damage and there was a fairly impressive bruised red and purple area, together with a shallow gash where the skin was broken. However, I was lucky that I was wearing my gaiters over the top of my trousers as they had protected me from worse damage.

Anyway, after a bit of mutual shouting between me and the farmlady (the dog owner), she finally apologised and we went on our way. I was shaking. I must have walked past hundreds of farms with barking dogs but I don't think I will again, without a great deal of fear and trembling. Home now, and my leg is looking better. It's still slightly swollen and has a very red mark - but I think I'll live!! That darned dog hasn't done it's fellow canines any favours because next time I go walking in farm country I'll be prepared with a stick!

2 comments:

  1. Did you check that the dog had its vaccines? Is rabies a problem over there like it is here in the US? Yikes!

    By the way, you are doing a FABULOUS job! Congrats. I have been checking on your blog every once in a while to check your progress and hear your tales. Doing great with your blog too!

    Peace,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi laura,

    Thanks for your kind comments!! No we don't have rabies on the uk. In any case I think my heavy canvas gaiters and trousers protected my leg from direct contact with the dog - pesky thing!!

    Hope things are going well for you. All the best Theresa x x

    ReplyDelete