Sunday, September 27, 2009

Emotional eating

My roller coaster journey continues apace! Things are still really tough at work and I'm struggling on a daily basis to stick to healthy eating. As soon as I begin to struggle emotionally, I seem entirely incapable of resisting chocolate and other psychologically uplifting foods. What's worse is that I don't just get one bar of chocolate - I get two or three or more. Today I bought seven and so far I've chomped my way through five :-(

I'm mulling over a couple of things at present. First, was I right to gave a band rather than a bypass? People say the band is less suited to emotional and binge eaters but I wasn't aware of that at the time I made the decision. That said, the long term prospects for weight loss are better for bands than bypasses according to research on long term success rates. Second, do I need another fill or do I just need to get my head right? Sometimes I get quite good restriction but it disappears when I eat the wrong foods. On the other hand, I can still eat far more than many people.

I've a seriously hard week coming up and am not at all sure how I'm going to get through it without gaining half a stone. Watch this space!

3 comments:

  1. I so understand where you are coming from.... I am having the same struggles, with crisps and pick and mix!!!! - you are definately not alone... I've got another fill on monday which will force me to go back to liquid and I am going to take a deep breath, dig deep and try and properly diet for a few weeks to get me back on track... will it work..... I hope so..... that's all we can keep doing is each morning try again.... I am also going to try hypnosis to help me work better with the band to stop abusing it as I do... I'll let you know if that helps.... Good luck Trees, you are doing so so well, a few bad days does not change how fantastically you have done.... maybe go back to the beginning of your blog and re-read how you originally did it.... it does help me re-focus sometimes when I re-read my story - good luck sweetie, Love Kegs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, I am not yet banded, but I do understand your cravings. Especially when you are having difficulties. But remember that you have done sooo well, so far. Like the prior comment. Go back and read your blog from the beginning and try to get strength from that.

    My Surgeon tried to talk me into a Bypass, because I too am a grazer and sugar addict. But, I refuse to let them re-plumb me! Also, if you have the Bypass, you basically can't eat sugars again! They will make you sick!

    So I would rather do it the hard way, at least we can occasionally have a sweet treat. Just don't go overboard! I can say this now, but I do realize that I will have the same issues in the future, so I will continue to follow your blog to see how you cope. Don't let a bad day, make a bad week. Hang in there! Debi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello both,

    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Kegs, I do hope your fill works this time. I'm really interested in how the hypnotherapy goes - I may try this too if I don't get my emotional bingeing under control.

    Debi - thank you so much for the encouraging words. You're absolutely right - a few bad days won't scupper all my efforts so far. I agree about the bypass thing -I didn't fancy such a major op - and as you say - the band allows us to eat a LITTLE of what we fancy!

    All the best to you both, Theresa x

    ReplyDelete