Saturday, September 12, 2009

Eggs is eggs

As sure as eggs is eggs, eggs produce, shall we say, a binding effect in me! Having been away for a few days, I was rather at someone else's mercy when it came to food. I ate breakfast each morning in a canteen offering fairly typical English breakfast fayre. On offer were scrambled eggs, fried eggs, sausages, bacon, baked beans, tinned tomatoes and hash browns. There was also toast made from white bread, yoghurt, fruit, and croissants. Being a vegetarian and trying to avoid fatty food, I opted each morning for a piece of toast, a small amount of scrambled egg and a tomato. I also had a yoghurt and took a piece of fruit for later.

From a calorie and nutritional point of view my selection for breakfast was good. However, in the past few days I have experienced one of the downsides of my choices. Eggs seem to have a bad effect on my digestive system and seem to 'block it up' solidly. This morning I declared war on my bowels! I started with the Lactosol, then followed it up with strong coffee, a bowl of All Bran and a banana!! Within the hour I had won the war but was feeling truly knackered!! Sorry if this is all too much information - but it's just one of the practicalities we have to face with the band!

I have a plan for the next time I go away. I'll eat the eggs some of the time, but I'm going to take some All Bran with me and work really hard to boost my fibre intake. For now, eggs are off the menu for a while!!

No comments:

Post a Comment