Sunday, January 11, 2009

My brain doesn't match my body

OK, let's face facts, for about ten weeks now, I have been leading a super-healthy lifestyle. I've been consuming less than 1000 calories a day, eating an extremely healthy diet with practically no fat and walking as though it were going out of fashion. I've lost 3 stones and 3 pounds and clothes are starting to fall off me. My brain is telling me I'm thin, I'm fit, healthy and feel fantastic. So what's wrong with that? Well nothing really - it's why I was banded, it's just that every now and then I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and the body I see doesn't seem to belong to me anymore! My body still reflects the activities and consumption of my past life, not my present life - and it's confusing!

It has had me thinking, not for the first time, what will my body be like when I'm 10 stone 7 pounds? (notice the 'when', not 'if'! - that's positive thinking). Will I even recognise my own body? Will I feel like it belongs to me? Will I like it?

For me, losing weight was never just about changing my physical body. I know about the health risks (and reducing them was my number one reason for getting banded), I've experienced the negative vibes from other people because of my appearance, I've been through all of the difficulties inherent in buying clothes, not being able to do things that require fitter bodies etc etc. However, for me, a major factor in opting for a 'new life', was the positive effect it would have on my psychological well-being. Being obese, has for me, been a huge contributory factor in low self-esteem, lack of confidence and recurring depression. Although my body still has a long way to go to achieve thinness, it's fantastic that my brain already appears to be well on the way there!

No comments:

Post a Comment