Friday, January 2, 2009

Odd cravings

I've never been pregnant (and I'm not now!), but I understand that pregnant women often suffer from unusual food cravings. I'm experiencing something similar to that now and have been over the past few days. It started with a sudden desire for sweet things - like my worst nightmare - chocolate. Also danish pastries and muffins! But my craving has moved on and now its eggs! At odd times of day when I feel hungry, I just want to eat an egg! I succumbed a couple of days ago and sat eating a boiled egg at about 11.30pm! Today, I couldn't face muesli for breakfast but instead had a scrambled egg with leeks and tomatoes! Now, given that I do not eat meat, eating the odd extra egg shouldn't pose any difficulties as they are a good alternative source of protein. However, too many eggs have a tendency to play havoc with my digestive system - if you see what I mean - so I'll have to be careful to resist these food urges some of the time!

My eating habits have changed quite a lot in the past few weeks. I am no longer fixated on the need to have complete 'meals' every time I eat. For example, if I feel towards the end of the day that I haven't eaten enough protein, I'm quite happy to sit down and eat a small piece of salmon on its own! I'm trying to follow the dietary advice of my provider which is to have the following elements of food each day:

Starchy foods (3-4 servings daily): Eg crispbreads, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, porridge, muesli
Fruit (2-3 servings daily)
Vegetables (3-5 servings daily)
Meat or alternatives (2-3 servings daily): Eg fish, tofu, quorn, beans or lentils, eggs
Milk and diary (2-3 servings daily): Eg milk, yoghurt, cream cheese

In addition, there is an optional category of Fats (1 serving daily) - such as margarine, nuts, cream, salad dressing. Most days I do struggle to consume the right amount of protein and I've been avoiding fats altogether. Perhaps this explains my egg cravings...?

No comments:

Post a Comment