Saturday, January 3, 2009

Progress on 'the knee'

At this moment in time, I should just be settling down to bed in my hotel room, Cervinia, Italy. I would have gone to bed nice and early to be ready tomorrow for a hard day's skiing on the slopes....

If you read my blog regularly, you may recall that on Monday 29th December I slipped over on ice while out walking and hurt my knee. I said I'd keep you updated on progress - so here it is.

My knee has got a lot better over the past week, but unfortunately, not at a fast enough pace to be ready for a week's skiing. I can walk quite well now, and walked 10,000 steps today. However, as anyone who has been skiing will know, skiing really gives some serious trauma to the legs(!) and I need to be as fit and as confident as possible. Consequently, we took the decision yesterday to cancel. We are both disappointed but we've had a week to prepare ourselves for what was, perhaps, the inevitable. It's not all bad, we will almost certainly go later in February or early March instead. There are a few up-sides to this: (a) I may be able to fit into my salopettes by then! (I can get them on and zip them up - but I can't yet breathe in them!), (b) I'll be lighter and fitter by then, (c) I'm still taking this week off work so we're planning lots of day-trips and walks.

As I explained before, this little 'misfortune' initially made me quite depressed and I started craving all sorts of sweet and fattening foods. I'm better now because I have a holiday to look forward to a little later in the year AND a nice stay-at-home holiday to look forward to this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment