Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Restriction or not? - that is the question

I've been eating mush again today. I ate porridge for breakfast and some vegetarian cottage pie for lunch. For evening meal I prepared a boil-in-the-bag cod in butter sauce, pre-prepared mashed potato and mashed butternut squash. I couldn't get it all on my 7" side plate - mainly because the sauce from the cod and the juice from the butternut squash were in danger of running off the edge of the plate. So, I split it in half and put half on each of two plates. Of course, I had to put up with the ribbing from my other half about having TWO meals...! Anyway, I ate the first half and enjoyed it. After 'resting' for a few minutes I decided that actually, I was quite full without the second half - so I'm saving that for tomorrow night!

I am really not sure if I'm experiencing any restriction or not. I can get food down quite easily and at a similar pace to that before I had my first fill (two days ago). However, I do sometimes feel a sense of fullness in the back of my throat when I drink something too quickly. It's not painful or anything - just a feeling of something being there - perhaps the liquid cannot get through my band as quickly as I'm pouring it into my mouth and so it 'backs up' along my oesophagus? As far as eating mush is concerned, I really don't know if there is any restriction. I've been eating small mouthfuls, eating slowly and chewing everything for so long now that it has become habit. Therefore, it's hard too tell if anything 'different' is happening.

I guess I won't really know if I have restriction until I start eating solid foods - I'm going to start doing that on Friday (two days time). I really hope there is some restriction. However, one lady at the recent support group meeting asked me how I will know i have restriction if I am losing weight and eating small portions anyway? Mmm, I don't know the answer to that one. Perhaps I will have to deliberately eat more for a short time in order to 'test' the band and the restriction it is, or isn't, giving me.

2 comments:

  1. When you get on solids - try the jacket potato test - if you can eat a whole normal sized jacket potato and don't have any pain or struggle with it - book that 2nd fill in - For me perfect restriction is 1/2 a potato including the skin (eaten very slowly - almost cold on the last mouthful) and that's it before pain starts... Hope that helps.... 1st fill my chappie said they are always gentle so you get used to some of the feelings of restriction and reduce you portion size slowly without the severity of having your portions cut so dramatically by a tight fill. If you are happy with the loss you are getting and happy with the food level you find you can eat though - stick with it till you stop losing and then go..... depends really how fast you want to get the weight off and how much willpower you have. Unlike you, I have no willpower at all and needed severe as quick as possible - Good Luck. My 3rd fill was perfect.... lost 4lbs since monday... woo hoo loving the band. Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried a jacket potato, but had pasta, sprouts, green beans, mushrooms and prawns tonight - a very full side plate. Ate it all, no pain. I guess I'll be booking that 2nd fill..... Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. And well done on your 4lb loss!! Theresa.

    ReplyDelete