Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dressings (4) off!

I spoke to my nurse today and she told me I could take my dressings off! At last. I’ve had so much skin soreness and itching with the damned things – I didn’t take telling twice. I removed the outer adhesive dressings, then soaked the suture dressings underneath until they were ready to peel off. I decided to leave the ‘big one’ (the one that covers the port area) for now because although it’s dry, this one looks a lot larger and scabbier (and OK, yes, I’m scared!!)! However, the other four are off now and I feel a sense of freedom! I also have quite a lot of soreness – not on the wounds, which all look very neat, but around them – where the adhesive has been; very red and sore. The wounds, though, look as though they will heal very well, leaving very little scarring.

I’ll take the last one off tomorrow and that will be another milestone passed. The next milestone will be this Saturday when I can stop wearing the anti-embolism stockings! Then a week later I’ll be off fluids and onto mush (sorry, puree).......

No comments:

Post a Comment