Saturday, November 29, 2008

Two-week post-op review

I had my two-week review this morning at HW in Manchester. Everything seemed to go OK and the nurse is pleased with how my surgery wounds are healing. I've had a lot of soreness associated with the adhesive dressings that covered the wounds and the nurse suggested I try Bio Oil or Arnica. I got some of the former on the way home, and although its very expensive, it is very soothing. I asked about when I could go swimming - and the answer is, basically, as soon as the larger of my wounds is healed (probably just a few days) - this one is still not quite knit together at one point in the middle. I used to do a lot of swimming so am looking forward to being able go again - it will relieve the boredom of walking the streets accumulating 'steps' on my pedometer! Having said that, I went for a walk with hubby today and managed almost 6000 - the highest post-surgery number so far.

The best news, however, was that I can now start to experiment with slightly thicker fluids - thicker soups, runny scrambled egg and creamy mashed potatoes. I am not officially on pureed foods yet for another week but the idea is to smooth the transition from fluids to purees over this coming week. I guess the first step I will make will be to stop sieving (after two weeks of sieving just about everything I cannot wait!) - I've even been sieving Actimel to get the tiny orange bits out! Well, no more of that!

Some suggestions I have for food over the next week are:
Thicker soup, or soup with soft bits in (eg soft beans or vegetables)
Runny scrambled egg (though not too much or it will counteract the Lactasol!!!)
Creamy mashed potatoes (with Philadelphia Light mixed in for added flavour)
Soft, runny porridge
Pureed soft vegetables (eg broccoli, cauliflower, courgette, butternut squash)

Ooohh I'm making myself hungry - time to make some more homemade soup...!

No comments:

Post a Comment