Sunday, November 23, 2008

Eight days post-op: Progress

Eight days on from surgery, I seemed to have reached a turning point. I haven’t had a any painkillers for nearly 48 hours now and am no longer feeling bloated or light headed. I still get twinges from the left side of my stomach (near the port site) - feeling much like a persistent stitch, especially when I lean over or bend down to the left. I am sleeping well and am back on my own side of the bed! I’ve been walking 3-5000 steps each day and not finding that too much trouble if I take it gently. I’m not belching half as much now as I was and the Lactolose and prune juice seem to have done the trick (I'll say no more!).

I am still struggling to consume significantly more than 600 calories a day though – something my husband has started nagging me about. A typical day’s food intake is:
Breakfast: Orange juice (smooth), Actimel (sieved), tea (black and sugarless – how I like it). Total = 165 cals.
Lunch: Homemade soup, tea and half a strawberry shake. Total = 150 cals.
Late afternoon: More soup (sometimes homemade, sometimes Weight Watchers), tea or sugar-free Ribena. Total = 90 cals.
Evening: Half a strawberry shake, more sugarless drinks (eg tea, Ribena or Diet Coke), a yoghurt (thinned with milk) or custard with strawberry puree. Total = 220 cals.

Total = 625 cals.

Even as I write this, it is 3.20pm and I have consumed a total of 245 calories thus far – and I am not hungry. I cannot work out why since supposedly there is no restriction from my band at the moment. On the down side, I am a little less energetic than usual (though not that much really). Also, I maybe not getting the nutrition I need (though I’m taking chewable multivitamins) and may be losing weight too fast (is this a problem?). On the up side, I don’t have hunger to contend with (yet) and am losing weight – 17 stone 12 lbs at this morning’s weigh-in!

Good luck out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment