Monday, November 10, 2008

I’m keeping mum

So far, I’ve only told my husband about the surgery. He came with me to my consultation at Healthier Weight and has been supportive. He has never pushed me into this but respects my decision and will help in whatever way he can (even though I’ll have to remind him sometimes!). At this point in time, I don’t have any plans to tell anybody else about having a gastric band – not my family, nor my work colleagues and friends. Having said that, I’m aware that I may change my mind some time in the future. Why keep it quiet? Well, I suppose it helps me retain an ounce of dignity in not having people openly discussing things that are very private to me. I suspect my family and some of my friends might also try to talk me out of it. I also think there’s a lot of misconception about gastric surgery – people think it is somehow ‘cheating’ (just look at what Fern Britton has had to put up with). From what I have read, the band does 30% of the work and the rest will be down to me – so it’s really about having something give me a helping hand rather than doing it all for me.

If you’ve had gastric banding – did you tell anyone? Did you keep it quiet? Did anybody find out or guess? Post a comment.

5 comments:

  1. I picked up your blog details via ukgastricband site. I'm thinking aout having a band, similar to you I'm approaching my 40th and wondering if I'll ever lose weight. I don't want to be obese for the rest of my life. It is very reassuring to hear that others have the same thoughts and feelings. I have plucked up the courage to tell my husband - he was doubtful but supports me - he is worried about the op going wrong. I dont' think I'll tell anyone else as I don't want to have to deal with their worries and comments; just want to stay focussed! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my band fitted 5 days ago and only told my mum (she paid so no choice there!), my partner and a FEW very close friends. I don't care what people would gossip about me i just didn't want their opinion or for them to try and talk me out of it. They don't live my life in my body. I know for some they comment because they care but for once in my life i have done something for me and only me. Totally selfish some could say but you know what i feel great!!! Except for trapped wind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I had my band fitted a week ago and I have told most people- family, friends & work coleagues. I decided that if I was going to do this then I was not going to be 'weighed' down with the issue of how or if I tell people in the future. I know that some people are very judgemental about this type of surgery, but then there are always going to be people like that in life. I have found that most people have been very supportive, especially family and friends who have been there as I have struggled with my weight throughout my life. I am sure that by letting the people around me know what I am doing, it will be much easier to deal with any side effects or difficulties I may encounter on my gastric band journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elsie and Anonymous,

    Thanks both for leaving a comment. It's an interesting conundrum. Like Elsie, my husband was a bit shocked at first but is being very supportive. I suspect my family (brothers, sister and dad) would be very concerned and I think I'll have enough on my mind without dealing with their concerns and issues.

    Having said all that, I admire Anonymous for having the self-confidence to not worry about what people think.

    Thanks both, good luck and keep in touch
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous (2),

    Your post has made me think! I must confess I have been thinking about all the situations I may find myself in where I will probably have to lie to keep my secret safe and it could get quite awkward. I definitely won't tell anyone for at least the first few weeks but I may well re-think after things have settled down and I have got used to my new friend!

    Keep in touch,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete