Sunday, December 14, 2008

£200 saved so far!

I got a bank statement the other day and it got me thinking about how much I normally spend on food (I mean lunches, snacks, chocolate and drinks - not the weekly shop). I've not had to get any money from the bank since I started the pre-op diet five weeks ago! There's money in my wallet and the amount has hardly gone down! I've never accurately calculated how much money I spend each day on food, but on a typical work day, I reckon its about £8. This means, not counting any I spend on food at the weekend, I usually spend £40 per week on food - that amounts to somewhere in the region of £2000 per year! Wow! So, since I started on my pre-op diet five weeks ago I've saved £200. I'm thinking now that if all goes well and continues like this, my bank balance will look significantly more healthy in one year's time. I ought to put some of that saved money aside and use it in a year to spend on ME as a sort of reward for losing weight (assuming I do!). Mmm, now I'll have to think what kind of reward I want for a couple of grand!

I have also given some thought to what my husband and I are spending on our typical weekly shop. Since I started on pureed foods I have bought a few things I wouldn't normally buy - such as pre-prepared cottage pie, ready made mashed potato (Tesco Light Chioces) and similar. but even so, we are buying MUCH less food than we ever have before. In the past, we'd buy loads of fresh vegetables, cheese, potatoes, bread etc, but now are only purchasing a fraction of that as I eat such small portions these days!

When looked at this way, the £8000 spent on the surgery itself is put into perspective. Yes, it's a lot of money, but then again, IF all goes according to plan, I suspect that I will recoup all of that in two or three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment