Sunday, December 21, 2008

Falling over - twice!

Since first taking the decision to get banded, I have not told anyone about it apart from my husband. Since getting banded four weeks ago, I have lost two stones in weight and have dropped from a size 24 to 22. I have lost weight around my face, shoulders, boobs and waist. Nobody that I know has made any comment about me losing weight - until today! We had just arrived home after an afternoon walk and as we drove up to the house, saw both our neighbours chatting next door. We went over to them to join in the chat and one of them (a man, no less!) took one look at me and without missing a beat said "Theresa, you've lost weight!". Well, I nearly fell over. This was the second time in one day I had nearly fallen over. What a lovely feeling it is to have someone notice that you've lost weight. I walked into the house more or less floating on air - and with a grin that would do a Cheshire cat proud!

The first time I nearly fell over today happened in church. After the service, I was chatting to a couple of elderly ladies, Margaret and Eve. Eve said that there was going to be a buffet lunch at our other building today, and asked if I was going. I said I wasn't, but being kind, she tried to persuade me to go along. I knew I couldn't go because I am still on pureed foods - and also I didn't want to be tempted by any 'nice' Christmassy food. So, in an attempt to put a stop to her persuasive powers, I just casually said "I'm on a diet". Continuing with the washing up, and not even looking at me as she said it, Eve just as casually asked "have you got a band?".

That was when I nearly fell over.

Eve is about 80 years of age. Now don't get me wrong, she is a lovely, bright, intelligent person. But I didn't realise that 80 year olds had even heard of the band! After a moment's silence (I was trying to think of how to respond), I said, as nonchalantly as I could muster, "what made you ask that?". Eve said that she'd remembered how, a few weeks ago, when she'd asked what surgery I'd had, I'd replied that I didn't want to say at this stage. She said she'd been reading about the band (!) and that when I'd said I was on a diet she'd put two and two together!! (this has got me wondering has anyone I know else put two and two together....?)

What an amazingly observant and perceptive lady! Anyway, I knew I wasn't going to get away with fibbing so I leaned over and whispered in her ear "yes, I've got a band". So, a new era has begun - there are now two people in the whole world (apart from all of you and all the medical staff, and the people at the support group.....!) who know I have a band. I suppose what I mean is, there are two peeople who KNOW me, who know I have a band. Knowing Eve, and the lovely lady that she is, I feel strangely comforted to know that she knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment