Thursday, December 4, 2008

Eating on the go - or not

I guess we've all been there - rushing around at work, dashing here, dashing there, grabbing a quick sandwich and a bar of chocolate (or two!) on the go. I cannot do this any more because of the need to eat slowly, chewing everything carefully. Also, I'm still on semi-fluids so am having soup for lunch. Today, knowing I had to rush from one meeting to another without any scope for a lunch break, I had to phone up the meeting convenor and ask him if there was a microwave available! I ended up sipping soup in the meeting - much to everyone's amusement!

Yesterday I didn't fare so well - another very hectic day - and in the absence of a microwave! In the end I didn't get anything that could be described as 'lunch' until 3pm. Having started work at 7am I was starving!

In the future, when I have had my fill and found my 'sweet spot', I guess things won't be any different as I will still need to practice a great deal of care over my meals and eating. It won't be an option, if I want this thing to work, to just 'grab and go'. So for me, the band provides a means of getting my life (especially work life) in order in other ways. I will have to learn how to say 'no' much more often and make sure that I have clear breaks planned in my day to allow for food. I will have to take a little time the night before to prepare food to take to work each day.

We have a canteen at work that does nice salads so sometimes I won't have to do the preparation the night before - I can eat there instead. They also have jacket potatoes though they are usually enormous! This will be a welcome break for me because I've always been of the opinion that NOT having to prepare sandwiches etc for lunch was some sort of 'reward' for working - a well-deserved luxury!

No comments:

Post a Comment