Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thank heaven for husbands

I've mentioned my husband a few times during the course of this Blog, but never really said much about his role in all of this. When I first raised the issue of gastric surgery (I didn't know the difference then between a bypass and a band), he says he was "a little shocked". But once I had talked him through the why's and wherefore's he was quick to accept my reasoning and my judgement on the matter. Since then, he has been nothing but completely and totally supportive. I expect it's been a real pain for him - the hospital visits; the weird food I've been consuming; soup explosions in the kitchen; the odd meal times; the mood swings; the constant clutter from bits of liquidisers, storage jars and plastic bottles; and the sudden proliferation of teaspoons in the washing-up heap! That's to say nothing of the constant "will you inspect my wound?" requests; multiple (and at times, odd) shopping demands (dressings, steri-strips, Lactusol, multivitamins, hot chocolate drink, Ribena, strawberries, storage jars, Oasis bottles - empty, and ice cube bags); demands to "come for a walk with me"; and constant requests, in the early days, to "get me this, get me that" so I didn't have to move around too much. The first night back home he spent about an hour adjusting and re-adjusting my pillows until I got comfortable - and then I chucked him out of his side of the bed for the rest of the first week because I couldn't sleep on my left side!

And through all of this, he hasn't once complained. He has been there all the time, ready, willing and available to meet my every need and I absolutely could not have done this without him. It's not just the practical things but he's also been there for moral support - to encourage me and raise a smile on my face when I didn't feel like smiling. He's encouraged me to keep walking, to get plenty of rest, not to go back to work too early - and he's done everything around the house as well as all the extra shopping so I didn't have to.

Thank heaven for husbands - I couldn't do without mine. I love him to bits - he's my friend, my lover and my soulmate. x x x x x x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment