Thursday, December 4, 2008

How much to eat?

I have only 36 hours before I officially move from fluids to pureed foods - though my dietician said I can already eat mashed potato, thick soup and runny scrambled egg. I have read and re-read all of the information I have and am still confused about how much I am allowed to eat while on the puree phase. I believe, at this stage, that there is very little restriction around my stomach 'pouch' because the band is loose and had no fill. Nevertheless, I still have to be careful not to over-stretch the band because this can diminish the messages coming from the brain that the pouch is full.

I have no problem with calorie control - I once lost four stones while on my own low fat diet - I consumed about 1400 calories a day but still managed to eat huge portions to fill me up. I did this by cutting out any fatty food (I was consuming about 15% fat per day) and bulking up on low calorie foods such as vegetables - marrow, for example, has very few calories in so you can eat loads of it.

However, in my current situation, I need to aim for about 1000 calories per day, ideally, but without the bulk. What I am unclear about is what sort of bulk I should be consuming. My information says 3-6 tablespoons - but apart from the fact that I do not own a tablespoon - I don't really know how much weight of food a tablespoon holds. I found out on the web that a tablespoon is equivalent to 15 ml - but that is a fluid measure not a weight. If that 15 ml cvolume was taken up with water then the weight would be 15g because the density of water is 1. However, I expect most foods have a higher density than water and therefore the same volume (15 ml) will equate to a greater weight in grammes. But how much greater? It's much easier to weigh food than to fit it into a tablespoon and test for volume.

I posted a message on a forum and one lady said she reckons a coffee mug filled with food is about the volume she uses as a guide. Somewhere else (cannot remember where) I recall seeing that two tablespoons of food is all your small stomach pouch can take at one time - and that's equivalent to about 60g or the volume of a golf ball.......!

So, I just need to go out and buy a coffee mug, a tablespoon and a golf ball and I should be OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment