Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Desperate for chocolate......

2008 has been a bad year on the whole. It's been one thing after another right from January 2008 and I'm really glad to see the back of it. However, the year has improved dramatically since deciding to get banded in November and I hope this improvement will continue throughout 2009. Aside from the obvious benefits of losing weight and getting fitter, I have also been feeling a lot happier, less depressed and optimistic. At least I was until yesterday..... let me explain:

In January 2008 our cat seriously damaged his right leg - around what would be the human equivalent of a knee. He had to have major surgery and loads of pins were put in around an external frame - he then had to have an extended period of cage rest. As a result, in order to stay at home and look after him, my husband and I had to sell our winter skiing holiday to Cervinia in Italy on eBay! We also had to cancel a couple of other trips. Around this time lots of other bad stuff started happening - and thus began my own anus horribilis.

Bringing this back to the present, yesterday, being a good girl and getting in some post-Christmas walking, I slipped on some ice and hurt my leg - yes you've guessed it - my right knee. We are due to be going on holiday on Saturday (you guessed right again) - skiing at Cervinia in Italy. I saw the doctor this morning and he is not at all optimistic about me even being able to walk properly by Saturday, never mind ski. So, for the first time in several weeks, I am really craving chocolate, cakes, chips, cheese sandwiches, anything that might, for a few seconds at least, make me feel better.

I still don't really know how it happened - I was just walking along and then 'BANG'! I was in a heap on the ground. I was a bit shaken but got back up and set off to walk back to the car (about 2-3km). I then drove home, still not experiencing any pain at this stage. Once I got home, I felt some pain walking down the stairs and then over the next hour there was rapid swelling and stiffness. I wasn't able to walk and only a serious ice-pack improved the pain.

This morning I was still unable to walk properly and my knee is badly swollen, although the worst of the pain has passed. I still cannot believe that the same thing appears to be happening again (albeit, it is my leg this time, not the cat's!). I'm even more surprised at how easily my brain has reverted to 'type' and started telling me I need to eat 'bad' food to feel better (although of course I know it wont make me feel better at all). I'll keep you posted on progress....

Here's hoping for a much better 2009.... it can only get better??

No comments:

Post a Comment