Monday, December 22, 2008

Dehydrated...?

Today, I saw my GPs practice nurse for the second time in a month to get my urine and blood pressure tested. She tested them both three weeks ago and wasn't happy so asked me to return. My blood pressure is low (100/60) - it's usually normal (about 120/80). Also, for the second time, I have a high level of ketones in my urine. Now, this can be serious, if coupled with a high blood sugar level - but that is normal. The nurse originally thought the high ketone level was due to dehydration, but I told her I've been drinking 2.0 to 2.5 litres a day (which is what I've been advised). Now she's unsure and thinks it might be something to do with my diet. She asked me to come back again for a urine test when I am back on a 'normal' diet. The problem is, I am not sure what 'normal' means anymore! In terms of nutritional balance, my diet is already normal - I am eating a fairly good balance of carbohydrates, proteins and fruit and vegetables (albeit, some of these are mashed!). In terms of volume, my diet may never be 'normal' again.

I've emailed the nurse at Healthier Weight for advice, and I'll post again if I learn anything from that. But in the meantime I have been searching on the Internet for clues. Here's what I found:

Low blood pressure: This is not a problem if its not serious and it needs to be about 90/60 to be serious. The symptoms include light-headedness and dizziness - I get both of these, especially if I suddenly stand up or turn around. The causes include dehydration.

High ketones in the urine: I won't bore you with the scientific details, but ketone is produced by the body when the body is digesting its own fat. It is also a bi-product of dehydration. A web page about the Atkins diet talks about deliberately inducing ketosis (high ketone levels) as a means of burning more fat and less muscle - when on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.

So, from this information, it seems that dehydration is still a possibility, even though I am consuming 2-2.5 litres a day. But in addition, it may be that the relatively low amounts of carbohydrate I am consuming (compared to what I used to eat), and the fact that I am using a lot of energy in exercise and losing weight - could all contribute to high ketone levels. Whatever, it doesn't appear that it is a serious problem. I am going to try and increase my daily fluid intake to a minimum of 2.5 litres - and ideally aim for 3 litres. If the high ketone is an indication that my body is burning its own fat, well I don't have a problem with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment